Monday, August 31, 2009

Courage and Commitment

Matthew 4:18-22
18 One day as Jesus was walking along the shore of the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers—Simon, also called Peter, and Andrew—throwing a net into the water, for they fished for a living. 19 Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!” 20 And they left their nets at once and followed him. 21 A little farther up the shore he saw two other brothers, James and John, sitting in a boat with their father, Zebedee, repairing their nets. And he called them to come, too. 22 They immediately followed him, leaving the boat and their father behind.

After I came home from basic training, I remember going to a restaurant to eat with my some of my family. I went my my new class A uniform, ready to show off what I had accomplished. In between bites of food that I was eating faster than what most people could blink, an older man came up to me, grabbed my hand and said, "Son, you're a courageous hero. Thank you for everything you do." I in turn thanked him and went back to my meal. I was 19 at the time and had no idea what he was talking about. I hadn't done anything besides miss some sleep. I didn't understand and to be honest I still don't understand it. When people say those things to me, I just thank them back and go on about my day.
I spent years ignoring my call into ministry. It was either "I'm too young." or "I can't handle that kind of responsibility.". I was really good at coming up with excuses. If you want to see courage, take a look at the verses about when Jesus called His disciples. Man, now that is courage. There have been many times where God has called me to do something, and I blatantly ignore Him. That isn't courage, that's cowardice. The Army taught me how to fight, how to survive, put me through the training and told me when I was ready. God, in his infinite wisdom, calls you to something, already knowing you are ready and just wants you to say yes.
A couple of months ago, I finally gained the courage to say yes to God. I met with my local church board (not nearly as scary as I thought it would be), who prayed over me and committed with me to hold me accountable for my decision to follow God's calling. I ask that you do the same thing. The next four years are going to be difficult for me. I, just like the disciples, have no idea where the next step are going to lead to for Sarah and I. I do know that God has enough love and wisdom to call me to ministry and that I need to answer that call.
I have started the application process to a couple of universities, and I am overwhelmed with paperwork already, a minuscule problem given the importance of what God has trusted me with. I will spend the next couple of weeks meeting and praying with men of God who will encourage and push me. I know there will be times when I will try to step in for God, and I know there will be times when I fall flat on my face. More importantly than all of that thought, I know the love that God has for me with get back to where I need to be and to keep running the race.
Quick side note, please be praying for Sarah also. This is going to be a difficult time for her as well. There will be times when my studies or ministry will have to come before our marriage and her patience and understanding have blessed me and kept me going so far. Thank you for your time and prayers.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Starting a new phase is always extremely difficult to pull the trigger on. I'm speaking from immediate experience. You have our earnest prayers.

Jennie Joy said...

Sorry, Mark. You've got to know from the outset that your call and your ministry are never to come before your marriage. Absolutely NEVER.

God's put you into a covenant relationship with Himself- that is a relationship- not a calling. He then put you in a covenant relationship with Sarah. Again- a relationship- not a calling.

Callings can and do change. They are not covenant level. I am now called to Sudan. I probably won't be forever. I am called to minister to people- as are you- and yes, despite the location, this is something I will do my entire life. HOWEVER- anytime I put the ministry I do above the covenant relationships God has given me, I'm missing something.

God keeps people out of heaven who have dynamic ministries- healing the sick, raising the dead, casting out demons- because they didn't KNOW Him. They get so wrapped up in the "ministry" that they forget the relationship.

Obviously your COVENANT RELATIONSHIP with God will always come before your COVENANT RELATIONSHIP with Sarah. However, the Bible clearly states in 2 Timothy that if a minister doesn't have his relationships with his family in order- he has no right to stand in a position of spiritual leadership.

I feel really strongly about this because I've seen marriages struggle and fail because one partner was married to the ministry. They thought they were serving God, but they were serving an ego-trip that said they were needed more as a minister of God than as a husband/wife. Bogus. Stay true to the covenants- God first. Wife second. (enter kids here someday)

Ministry... it's important, but never above the wife.

I love ya, Mark! :)