Tuesday, June 2, 2009

In the quiet...

I spent this past weekend at the third annual church camp out that WWC holds with about 130 in attendance. At first I was a little hesitant. I am a very social person, but find myself overwhelmed by too many people. I am more of a small group kinda guy. I had a good time over all and am very glad I went. You can read more about it here or here.
I had the awesome opportunity to do nothing on Saturday while most everyone else was out floating and making tie dye shirts. Before you ask, nothing tragic happened to me as a kid or anything like that. I am just not a big fan of being in the water. So, instead I took a nap, and awoke to find an empty campsite, surrounded by God's creation. I woke up, cooked a pizza lunchable over the campfire, and really enjoyed the time to myself. Sometimes I find myself so busy between work and learning how to be a good husband that I forget that God is waiting for me. In that peaceful quiet with the birds singing and the fire burning I remembered, painfully remembered, that God is waiting for me.
I took some time to pray to God. I really prayed. I haven't spent that kind of time with God in a while and it really broke my heart. I had become so accustomed to being involved in ministry, being a husband, working, and being with my friends that my priorities had fallen drastically out of place. I have been putting my wife and other relationships before God, and God finally got a hold of me.
I didn't bring a bible with me so as I was being convicted of this, I asked God to just speak with me. I spoke to God and He spoke back and the best way I can describe it is peaceful. God reminded me of the story when Jesus sent His disciples ahead of Him on a boat, so that he could be alone. He reminded me that even the Son of God needed time to be alone, to refocus, to pray, and spend time alone.
I love that God is not insecure. I love that He will allow you to fail, not because God is angry or hurtful, but because He loves us and wants us to learn from our mistakes. I hadn't taken time for me to spend with God, and I hadn't taken time for my wife and me to grow together. I have failed in that up until now. There are times and I need a holy boot to my backside, but God knew this was not one of those time. In His own way, he gently pushed me and showed me where I was coming up short.
So, if you are reading this I would like to challenge you. Where are you missing an opportunity to be with God? He is waiting in the quiet, in the stillness...

2 Comments:

Jennie Joy said...

Thanks for this, Mark. It's right on! I'm so glad you had some fabulous quiet time with our Father! :D

Anonymous said...

Like the song or at least some of the words to the song and verse "be still and know that I am God". My best conversations with Him are when I'm alone. This is good Mark.